Monday, March 23, 2020

Virtual Learning, Day 1

Yesterday we got the dining room ready to be our official virtual learning space. There is a bulletin board with the schedule posted, some art they created this week on the walls and hutch, some fruit for a quick snack, and all the tools to make learning remotely successful. Our director had a very quick response to the COVID-19 so after a crazy week of expanding on google class and such (trust me, it was much more than that), we were ready to launch! Teachers are LIVE with kids all day (myself included) and kids met with each other, in live classes, and one on one for support.
The plan is amazing, but still day 1 was...intense.

I'm super grateful that my daughter, who is age 10, is not only an independent learning, but she's also super helpful! Today we all took lunch 11:30-1, but somehow I found myself making calls, sending emails, and following up on things.  All on her own, she made me a tuna sandwich with some chips.  Amazing.  After the day of school, I had more calls and emails and Melia made dinner for the family. Tonight she made spaghetti with pesto and a spinach salad.  I'm so proud of her!

Virtual learning looks like this: screen time.  However, with the live google meets/hang outs, it feels more personal as though we were still a connected community.  That was lovely.

When I finally logged off for the day, I went straight to Melia for some play-time.  I am feeling super empathetic that she is not getting time for recess or playdates...no time with her best girl friends. So, today, I was the girl friend.
We played with the American Girl dolls together.

After dinner, we had some good cuddle time on the couch.  Reality is, we all need face to face time, hugs, play, fun, connection....real life stuff!  So, when the screen is off, we have to connect.  It's more important now than ever.  And truth is, we only have each other.

The boys did well working independently AND with friends. My high schooler and I set up home base at the kitchen table (so as to not interfere with their live class times).  I checked in on Dean and his friends when they were talking math. Even though math was my best subject in high school, twenty-five years ago, I find myself a bit lost sometimes with his 7th grade lessons. HA!  It's true.  So, I guess I'll be learning during this virtual learning too!

I think the biggest lesson today was: WE GOT THIS. No, it wasn't "easy" and yes, I'm super tired...but we did it! Day one has to be the hardest day...such a steep learning curve.  One of my kiddos woke up with tears feeling really worried and later in the day that same child was leading and supporting classmates with some work. Incredible!  It's so neat for me to see them in their class-persona too.  They are respectful and kind, and eager to learn.  While I hope we don't have to learn in our virtual classrooms for the rest of the year, I'm glad we can continue to move forward - even if/when it doesn't look exactly the same.

Balance will come in the days ahead. One day at a time. We'll learn how to juggle the balls, which ones to let go of, and where we need to modify for success.  Today, the kids showed me that they can handle this.  As the parents, we can too.  Meanwhile, give some tasks to your kids. Keep expectations low fair. Stay calm; and when you're overwhelmed take some space for yourself.

A few things we can do for ourselves during this pandemic include showering daily (show up!), exercise (release anxious energy), play (connect with people you love), and meditate (give your monkey brain some down time).  I'm also trying to get good rest, eat well, and sleep enough so that my immune system stays strong.  While I'm not feeling really worried about the coronavirus right now because I'm practicing social distancing and staying home, I want to be in the best condition I can be should I too become infected. It seems like a real possibility since many folks are still not taking it seriously and staying home.

I have to say, I'm thinking of the students and the parents every day...wondering if they have enough food, if they're managing their stress, if they feel supported. If anyone needs any distant-loving, leave me a message. I see you.  I care. We're definitely stronger together 💗

No comments:

Post a Comment