Thursday, September 3, 2020

First day back for staff


I thought I'd share a picture of myself on my first day back at work for the 2020-2021 school year!  I had a wonderful day.  It was so great to see all of our staff in person (although the full staff meetings are still virtual - our director will not have us all gathered in one room).  We got to check out the progress on the Barn, imagine how we'll utilize our outdoor classrooms (each covered by tents or shade sails), establish some new routines, and begin planning the first days back with students.  

I've been back on campus a few times...and each time my heart is happy!  The Compass School has always been a place of joy; and even while wearing masks, I can see each teacher smiling and feel the warmth of their kindness.  I feel so safe on campus. Everyone is following all safety precautions and it'll be safer than any beach, shopping excursion, or play date! I trust our school and staff (not to mention viral counts for sending districts are SO low).

While the teachers meet and plan, I just keep thinking about the students.  I am looking forward to their return!  We are planning a slow re-entry: half of the students will arrive on Monday and half on Tuesday...giving us time to teach all the new routines with ease.  In addition to the pandemic curbing our style a bit, we expanded the middle school and moved into a new building.  Oh, and we have some new staff on our team as well.  Lots of things look different, but today I can't help thinking:

Things will look different, but different can be ok!

My daughter had track today (town rec program). They too did it differently, and it was a success! The kids walked to the lawn wearing masks, stood on place markers 6 feet apart, and kept space while running and stretching. The biggest risk is being within 6 feet for 15 min or longer (droplet exposure) which can't happen while you're exercising.  To see the kiddos happily exercising together was a true joy.

There is no denying that we are in a pandemic. Activities don't look the same as they did before. We are taking so many precautions to stay covid-free (as a family, as a school, as a community) and you know what, I think it's working!  I'm so grateful for scientists and out-of-the-box thinkers who create new solutions (ie. teaching outside! plexiglass! stable pods! tag with pool noodles!) and I'm so grateful to reclaim social time with peers. My kids desperately need time with other kids. I long to be out of my house which has been both my safe haven and prison at the same time. There's no way to know what the future holds, but so far the outlook is bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment